How TLC Stays Hydrated
Now that warmer weather season is officially on us, we always educate our patients on staying hydrated especially when in the sun. We always have clients make sure that water in equals water out and if that’s not the case we dig a little deeper into the reason behind this. For us, summer time is the easiest time of the year for us to make sure we are hydrated. We find it easiest to reach for water in the summer to cool down with the heat.
For those of you who have a hard time drinking water here are our top tips to stay hydrated!
1. We suggest adding essential oils to your water such as lemon or grapefruit to give it some flavor. These essential oils also help cleanse the liver.
2. If you don’t have essential oils you can always squeeze an organic lemon, organic lime, or an organic grapefruit into your water as well. We also like to throw fresh organic mint into our water!
3. Drink out of a stainless steel straw. We find that clients tend to drink more water when drinking out of a straw. We love using the Kleen Canteen straws. This also keeps plastic out of the ocean!
4. You can add some Himalayan sea salt to your water to help with your electrolyte balance due to the heat and sweating this summer.
5. Reach for fruits and vegetables that are high in water content.
Watermelon and cucumbers are our favorite.
6. Always drink water before drinking coffee. Coffee is known to dehydrate your system. So if you are a coffee lover like Dr. Elizabeth drink an extra glass of water for the day to help the body stay hydrated.
7. Drink Coconut Water or Switchel if you are feeling really dehydrated, especially if you’ve been in the sun all day. Find our SWITCHEL recipe below ⬇️
If you haven’t heard of Switchel, it’s a tart and pleasantly pungent mix of apple cider vinegar and malt syrup diluted in water for an electrolyte boost! We prefer to make ours with sparkling water to give it a fizzy kick! We make a big batch for the week and drink it all week long. Dr. Erin started making this after reading about post partum care in the First Forty Days.
What you’ll need:
Organic Ginger, Apple Cider Vinegar, Pure Maple Syrup or Local Honey, Organic Lemon, Sparkling Water or Still Water, Trace Minerals, Himalayan Sea Salt, Fields of Flowers + Organic Mint.
Juice a good size chunk of organic ginger
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup or Local Honey
Juice an organic lemon without the rind
3 drops of Trace Minerals
3 drops of Fields of Flowers (can add more as needed)
1/4 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
16 oz of sparkling water (use filtered water if you don’t want fizz)
Organic mint springs (for serving)
Mix all ingredients together and drink within 5 days of making it :)
Cheers to staying healthy and hydrated this summer season.
Drs. Elizabeth & Erin
We’ve included affiliate links for a few of our favorite things. As always, we only include things we absolutely love and think you will, too! Thank you for supporting us!